I love tacos.
They are so flipping easy and customizable to each person’s tastes and they are just downright yummy.
But tacos, in the original sense, are categorically UNvegetarian and UNvegan. So, like I love to do… I made my own version of them vegetarian style. Of course, to make them vegan, you’d just leave out the sour cream and maybe glop on some guacamole instead.
Plus, if you have carnivores in your life then you can make regular taco meat in a separate skillet and appease everyone! They just might even try the vegetarian option and realize that maybe being a vegetarian isn’t all that bad after all! (Cause honestly, I now prefer veggie tacos to meat tacos.) Serve these with a small bowl of my favorite Black Bean Soup recipe and you’ll DEFINITELY win them over!
- Avocados (I’d suggest 1/2 an avocado per person)
- Chopped or shredded lettuce
- Button mushrooms, sliced (any mushroom will work)
- Bell Pepper, sliced
- Onion, sliced
- Cherry Tomatoes (or regular chopped tomatoes)
- Taco Seasoning
- Cilantro (optional… but gosh, why WOULDN’T you use it!?!?! Hehe!)
- Sour Cream (optional)
- Shredded Cheese (optional)
- In a skillet, saute the mushrooms and onions on medium-high in olive or coconut oil for a few minutes and then sprinkle with taco seasoning (to taste) and saute for a few more minutes.
- Toss in bell peppers and saute until firm-tender.
- Arrange in tortillas (A little trick, if you put sour cream or guacamole in the bottom of the tortilla it will help to keep the other juices from “dissolving” your tortilla) and spoon in sour cream/guacamole, mushroom mixture, lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, cheese, and top with avocado slices!