Okay, no laughing at my title. I had trouble naming this stuff!
The hubs and I have been really eating pretty light lately… well, more like rabbits, lot’s of healthy type stuff involving kale, parsley, and cilantro. He’s trying to slowly transition some of our meals into juicing (we’ll see how that works, neither of us are terribly keen on cleaning the juicer cause it takes forever, so that tends to thwart our motivation at times).
Anyway, I was just fixated on Chicken Spaghetti today (or, as we used to call it at church camp, Chicky-La-La). But, not eating meat again this year sorta gets in the way for having CHICKEN spaghetti. But then I started thinking about how many recipes I have “converted” from omnivore recipes to vegetarian (or at least semi-vegetarian… meaning there might be some animal product in there somewhere), and why not Chicken Spaghetti.
So, I searched for a recipe that used cream of chicken (cause, remember, I’m not a good healthy cook quite yet) and lo and behold when this recipe popped up from The Pioneer Woman, I took heed! So, I did almost exactly what she does only I switched out her chicken for mushrooms and black beans. But, really… look at her version, she has all these beautiful pictures of her chopping everything and laying everything out, etc. It was quite helpful to me (the amateur).
My husband was a BIG fan. As in… go back for seconds… twice. So, here we go…
Semi-Vegetarian Chickenless Pioneer Woman Chicken Spaghetti
- 1 can Black Beans, rinsed
- 5 Mushrooms, chopped into chunks
- 3 cups Dry Spaghetti, Broken Into Two Inch Pieces
- 2 cans Cream Of Chicken
- 2 cups Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- 1/4 cup Finely Diced Green Pepper (this was a little more than 1/4 of a large bell pepper)
- 1/4 cup Finely Diced Onion (I used frozen… wait, no, I just realized that I entirely forgot it!)
- 1 jar (4 Ounce) Diced Pimentos, Drained
- 2 cups Reserved Chicken Broth From Pot (I used a chicken bouillon cube in the water I cooked the spaghetti in)
- 1 teaspoon Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon (to 1/4 Teaspoon) Cayenne Pepper OR 10 dashes of Frank’s RedHot Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Additional Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook spaghetti, in water with a chicken bouillon cube, until al dente. Do not overcook. Reserve 2 cups of “broth” before draining.
- If desired, saute mushrooms in some olive oil for a few minutes until a little tender.
- In a large bowl, combine black beans, mushrooms, cream of chicken, colby jack cheese, green pepper, onion (if you remember), and pimentos and stir just until mixed.
- When spaghetti is cooked, stir it into the mixture.
- Add seasoned salt and pepper sauce (or cayenne pepper) and 1 1/2 cups of reserved “broth” to the mixture and stir until combined.
- Place mixture into a casserole dish (I sprayed mine just to be sure) and cover with remaining cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until bubbly. (The Pioneer Woman suggests that if the cheese starts getting too cooked to cover it with foil).
She also mentions that you can cover and freeze up to six months, or cover and refrigerate up to two days! So, to my friends that are due with a baby in a couple of months… plan on having Semi-Vegetarian Chickenless Pioneer Woman Chicken Spaghetti for your meal!
Please join me on my journey! Subscribe or contact me here!