My husband is doing a test-run of the covenant during June, and since he’s a teacher then he’s on summer so I get to make childless treks to the grocery store. Which means, we’ll be eating well for the next couple of months! Plus, I got a cookbook from my mom for Mother’s day… The Vegetarian Bible!
7-Layer Meatless Tortilla Pie
• 2 cans (about 15 oz each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 cup PACE picante sauce
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, minced
• 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
• 1 can (about 15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 small tomato, chopped
• 1/4 teaspoon lime juice
• 7 large flour tortillas or 14 soft taco tortillas
• 2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar or Colby Jack cheese
* Preheat oven to 400°
1. Mash the pinto beans in a medium bowl with a fork or potato masher. Stir in 3/4 cup picante sauce and the garlic powder.
2. Stir the remaining picante sauce, cilantro, black beans, tomato, and lime juice in a medium bowl.
3. Place 1 tortilla on a baking sheet (or two soft taco sized tortillas side by side… to make two “towers”). Spread with 3/4 cup pinto bean mixture over the tortilla to within 1/2 inch of the edge. Top with 1/4 cup of cheese. Top with 1 tortilla and 3/4 cup black bean mixture. Top with 3/4 cup of cheese. Repeat layers twice more. Top with the remaining tortilla and spread with the remaining pinto bean mixture. Cover with aluminum foil.
4. Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until the filling is hot. Take pie out and uncover.
5. Turn off the oven.
6. Top with the remaining cheese and put pie back in for 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
7. Cut the pie into wedges. Serve with additional picante sauce and sprinkle with additional cilantro, if desired.
* Could add in shredded chicken or taco meat into either the black bean or the pinto mixture.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Please join me on my journey! Subscribe or contact me here!